Re: A question about spellchecker

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A question about spellchecker
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 20:27:55 +0300

> From: arthur miller <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 18:59:56 +0200
>
> Now - I have one question. Is it possible to pass name of dictionary instead
> of renaming
> .dic and .aff files?

Yes, of course: you have been doing that all the time with the -d
switch in your .emacs customizations.  My suggestion to copy files to
the locale names used by Windows is only so that Hunspell loads the
dictionary for your locale automatically at startup.

> The reason: I belieave it is much easier to instruct people how to pass name
> of a file to
> Emacs, than how to find what locale their Emacs or system use :).

I think finding the locale is easier, just look here:

  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/goglobal/default.mspx

(Look in the last column.)

> Furthermore, what if we wish to use two languages == two dictionaries. How to
> specify for ispell-change-dictionary if dictionaries are not set in list.
> Does hunspell
> enumerate all dictionaries in folder?

Yes, with the latest binaries Hunspell will find all the installed
dictionaries, and ispell-change-dictionary will suggest them as
completions.

> For example there is a list of country names and codes in
> rw-language-and-country-codes.el.
> Any chance to use it and automate so users don't have to be instructed to
> rename dictionary
> files?

That file is not what we need for ispell.el, no.  Again, renaming (or
rather copying) is only needed for the single dictionary that
corresponds to your Windows locale.  the other dictionaries don't need
to be renamed.