Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 18:58:58 +0300

> Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 17:45:50 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > I hope you didn't put these into your MSYS tree,
>
> I did put them into the MSYS tree.
>
>  > because that's wrong:
>  > these are native programs and DLLs, not MSYS programs.  They should be
>  > in the MinGW tree, and only the *.m4 files should be copied to the
>  > MSYS tree.
>
> So far I don't care because I can work with my builds.

As long as you have only 1 copy of foo.exe or bar.dll on your system,
it indeed doesn't matter (except for making it easier for you to tell
which program is of what kind).  But once you have an MSYS and a MinGW
build of the same file, you cannot have them both in the same
directory.  Likewise, if foo.exe is a MinGW program and depends on a
MinGW bar.dll, but instead finds an MSYS bar.dll, you are in trouble.