Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: trunk r116426: * lisp/jit-lock.el (jit-lock-mode): Keep it disabled in indirect buffers.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 12:26:57 -0700

 >>> Stefan Monnier on Sat, 24 May 2014 10:35:11 -0400 wrote:

 >> If the patch that you propose is ever implemented, local hooks will
 >> still be run in current buffer, right?

 > No, my intention is to only run the hooks in the base buffer.

How about running the hooks in all buffers but defining a local version
of the hook as a list with explicit indicator of where to run the hook?
For example (xxx :current), (xxx :base), (xxx :indirect-when-current).

Then jit-lock-after-change could be declared as (jit-lock-after-change :base).

[...]

 >> Coming back to the original jit-lock problem. I still have no clue how
 >> to fix it without copying the whole initialization part of jit-lock into
 >> polymode.

 > Enable font-lock in the base buffer (and only there) using polymode's
 > font-lock rules (which will dispatch to the appropriate indirect buffer).

This would work if your idea is implemented, e.g. change-functions are
executed in the base buffer. Currently, modifications of indirect
buffers don't trigger font-lock at all.

I have activated font-lock in the indirect buffers by copy-pasting the
jit-lock-mode code. It works, but I am noticing occasional emacs crashes
on backward-delete-char-untabify and kill-word which don't occur in
emacs 24.3.

  Vitalie