Re: [elpa] chess.el: Req. for comment/review: Info manual

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: [elpa] chess.el: Req. for comment/review: Info manual
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:20:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Mario Lang <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:23:38 +0200
>>
>> I have recently tried to get the chess.el info manual more
>> complete/useful.  This is my first texi document, and actually the first
>> time I am trying to document software beyond comments/docstrings and/or
>> readme's :-).  The basic skeleton of chess.info was created by John
>> Wiegley in 2002.  I have just added to it, and fixed some incorrect
>> stubs.  Still, as this is the first info manual I am working on, I'd be
>> very happy about a bit of external review of my work.  If you have
>> recently checked out chess.el, or have a love for texi, or both, please
>> have a look at the latest version in elpa.  I am really happy about any
>> kind of help here, be it style corrections (I am not a native speaker)
>> or even some ideas on how to explain things better/more complete.
>>
>> If you have elpa commit access and find anything valuable, just go ahead
>> and commit it, I am totally fine with that.
>
> I've reviewed the manual and have quite a few changes to it.

Thank you!!!

> I'm not sure how to proceed with this: the package is maintained
> outside of elpa,

That is sort of a misunderstanding.  chess.el is maintained as part of
ELPA since beginning of June.  I originally just wanted to commit it
(which is what I initially did) to the master branch in packages/chess/,
but Stefan convinced me to keep it in a separate branch
(externals/chess) to preserve the history.  So while it is under
"externals/", it is really a native ELPA package these days.  The github
repo is basically dead, since the original author has no interest in
working on it anymore.  To make this short, no, chess.el is part of
ELPA, and you are free to commit to its branch directly, it is really
the main repository these days.

> and I probably don't have write access there.

You have.

> OTOH, committing the changes to savannah doesn't sound right, since
> README says that local changes to externals should be kept to a
> minimum.

This info is contrary to what Stefan made me do, so just ignore it, in
the case of chess.el. (To clarify, it was really for the better to
actually preserve VCS history.)

> Let me know whether to send the diffs to you.  Thanks.
>
> Btw, your last change to README, viz.:
>
>   -   git clone --reference .. --single-branch --branch externals/PACKAGE
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/emacs/elpa PACKAGE
>   +   git clone --reference .. --single-branch --branch externals/PACKAGE
> $(git config remote.origin.url) PACKAGE
>
> is not necessarily for better: now this command and "make externals"
> will do subtly different things, which not everyone will realize.  If
> we want to be sure people with write access use the URL with write
> access (and don't want to rely on them to know that and use the
> correct URL), we should make changes to admin/archive-contents.el to
> do that when all the externals are checked out.

Hmm, I changed just README since I tripped over this behaviour when
using make externals.  I originally wanted to change the code run by
make externals as well, but I was a bit too much chicken regarding me
being new on ELPA :-).  Feel free to revert the one-liner in README if
you think it is too confusing.  Or I will do that, if you feel strongly
about it.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕