Re: emacs-lisp-mode and find-tag

From: Josh
Subject: Re: emacs-lisp-mode and find-tag
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:52:41 -0700

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
   I think it would be good to provide a generic M-. (and M-*, ..)
   binding that several backends (etags, symbol-file, ...) can then
   use.

That would be very nice indeed.

+1.  There was a discussion[0] about this topic last year and
apparent agreement in principle, but the details are yet to be
worked out.  At least two implementations exist already, one
being the patch Leo submitted with that bug and the other being
the `elisp-slime-nav' package I mentioned in that thread (and
whose author has also assigned copyright).

If we do define a standard set of source navigation key bindings,
I hope it includes one for jumping to symbols' references.  Unlike
M-. for jumping to definitions, jumping to references doesn't seem
to have a standard binding, even though it's often very handy.

[0] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15641

Josh