Re: Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 13:19:26 -0400

> Could we arrange for customize to save package specific settings
> in a package-specific customizations file?  The present one
> custom file that binds them all feels like the Windows Registry:-)

Other than the feeling, what benefits are you looking for?
I'm not just asking rhetorically: the best solution depends on the answer.

One useful thing would be a custom-cleanup command which could show you
all your settings that are equal to the default.  Showing the settings
for packages you don't use would be a more difficult.  I guess we could
search for those settings in your load-path and if it's not found, it's
clearly an "obsolete" setting.  But if the setting still exists (you
just don't use its package), I'm not sure what we could do.  Maybe we
could move all your settings to an "unused" list of settings and then
move the settings out of that list whenever they're used.  So after
a few days/weeks you can look at the settings remaining in the "unused
list" to see which ones qualify.

        Stefan