Re: admin/unidata updates

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: admin/unidata updates
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:37:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:55:00 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> But I agree that we should be better safe than sorry.  So I suggest to
> wait for a couple of weeks, and if there are no complaints from trunk
> users, backport this to the branch.

In addition, I updated a few data bases we maintain that are based on
Unicode, but are not generated automatically (perhaps they should be).
These should also be backported.

(Is there any good place to record what needs to be done when a new
Unicode standard is released?  I thought admin/notes/unicode, but it
talks about very different issues.)

And I have a couple of questions for Handa-san:

  . In otf-script-alist, some scripts have the dashes in their names
    replaced with an underscore, but others don't.  Is there some
    subtle issue here?  Do we need to use underscores instead of
    dashes exclusively (e.g., because XLFD specs disallow dashes in
    font specs)?

  . Should every script we support have a representative character in
    script-representative-chars?  What happens with a script that
    doesn't?

  . setup-default-fontset has a section labeled "for simple scripts".
    What is a "simple script" in this context?  If additional scripts
    are added to the database in characters.el, should they also be
    added to the list in setup-default-fontset?  What happens with a
    script that is not mentioned there?

TIA