Re: trunk r117396: Do not allow out-of-range character position in Fcomp

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: trunk r117396: Do not allow out-of-range character position in Fcompare_strings.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:57:40 +0400

On 06/25/2014 07:17 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

That was a misunderstanding: the discussion has never been about
emacs-24 AFAICT since it's not about fixing a bug.

May be I just misunderstood the development/release process as a whole,
but what "it's too late" means for the trunk?

We don't have the behavior for aref, but we do have it for nth and
gethash and people frequently rely on this behavior.

Hm...lists are mutable - you can concatenate A and B (with setcdr)
and get changed A but not the copy of A + B. On the other side, I always
consider strings and vectors as "less mutable", which implies more strict
checking (as with aref and aset).

Now that it's installed, I guess we can try to run with it for a while,
but I expect we'll get many bug reports from it because external
packages rely on that behavior (just like bundled packages relied on it,
or even more so since many external packages don't use string-prefix-p
because it didn't exist back then).

In ELPA, I don't see too much users of compare-strings:

$ grep -nHR "(compare-strings " .
packages/company/company.el:1093:              (not (eq t (compare-strings (car
candidates) nil nil
packages/vlf/vlf-ediff.el:323:           (eq t (compare-strings suffix nil nil
string start-pos nil
packages/gnugo/gnugo.el:290:  (compare-strings s1 beg1 nil s2 beg2 nil))

I can check other external packages as well. Emacspeak?

Dmitry