Re: warn-maybe-out-of-memory

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: warn-maybe-out-of-memory
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 13:17:54 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> This depends on OS and VM pressure. For example, on GNU/Linux if I have
>> just slightly above 8G free:
>
>> $ free
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:      16127204    7762072    8365132      68248      84396    6401276
>> -/+ buffers/cache:    1276400   14850804
>
> Here's another problem: what kind of "free memory" do you measure?

I'd also like to know. If it really is the 8G amount in the example
above, then as you say that seems just plain wrong for Emacs to warn
about. If it subtracts off the cache, that's still wrong if you have any
swap space. The total memory is not wrong, but frankly seems completely
pointless. Because who is opening a file with Emacs that matches the
amount of RAM on their machine? The performance of Emacs is pretty poor
with large files - the default large-file-warning-threshold is 10MB!