Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer and help-mode

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer and help-mode
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:06:10 +0800

On 2014-07-25 04:15 -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> However:
>
> Many (most?) uses of the thing rely on the output being in help mode.
> See eg http://debbugs.gnu.org/17966 .
> There are ~ 223 uses of with-output-to-temp-buffer in lisp/.
> As a first simple test, the string "help" appears on the same line as 76
> of them.
>
> Nobody shows any signs of fixing all those uses, or even documenting
> this (incompatible) change in NEWS.
>
> So I think this should just be reverted.

See Martin's comment in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16038#14, there seems to be
problems either way.

Note also temp-buffer-setup-hook is part of the public hooks of
with-output-to-temp-buffer so the macro makes no guarantee it will be in
Help mode. I.e. it is permissible for a user to have (add-hook
'temp-buffer-setup-hook 'fancy-help-mode t)

The more important reason is we have variants of those macros and it is
time to consolidate them. I'll find time to do that. Sorry just came
back from a break and it has been very busy lately. But I'll get to it
soon.

Leo