Re: Unused/obsolete `last-code-conversion-error'?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unused/obsolete `last-code-conversion-error'?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:22:03 +0300

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:21:15 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 08/27/2014 08:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > But your change still assigns values to variables, so I see no real
> > difference.
>
> ? This change completely eliminates Vlast_code_conversion_error
> and all assignments to it

Exactly.  Instead, you assign values to internal struct members not
exposed to Lisp.  Sounds like a net loss to me.

> plus related Qinsufficient_source, Qinvalid_source and Qinterrupted.

So you saved 3 slots in obarray, why is that important?

> Although we still need coding->result, we don't need to expose
> relevant information to Lisp.

This is Emacs, not some OO language.  Maximum encapsulation is not a
merit around here.

IMO, this change is pointless, it removes features for no gain.  It
should not be done.