Re: process_send_string blocks?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: process_send_string blocks?
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 03:21:24 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>>
>> I have a reliable reproducer, which I can easily simplify.
>
> Please do simplify it and post it.  Having a way of debugging this by
> several people will definitely make the process more efficient, and
> probably produce a higher quality solution.

Posted bug#18420. Unfortunately, when I simplify the external process
code, the hang goes away; I don't understand why, yet.

I'm sure there are bugs in the external code, but I'm having a hard time
reproducing the bugs with purely external testing. So I need Emacs to
stop hanging, so I can find the bugs that cause it to hang :).

In general, nothing the external process does should hang Emacs, short
of crashing the OS.

> Btw, do you see the problem in "emacs -Q"?

Yes, but only with the full external process code and full Ada mode
code.

I'm working on getting the Emacs source compiled and connected to a
debugger.

I did manage to attach a debugger to the running processes; that's a
first for me :). It was useful for the Ada code (compiled with debug
info), but not for the Emacs process; it says the stack is corrupted.
This is gdb 7.7 from AdaCore, distributed with GNAT GPL 2014, which I
used to build the external process.

--
-- Stephe