Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:14:12 +0200

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> I have suggested changes to the Msys2 people to iron out the Msys2
> install issues I had.
>

> To address the "almost" above:
>
> I built from the current pretest tarball,
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.3.93.tar.xz
>
> I had to override the guessed build machine on the configure line:
>
>     $ ./configure --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/mingw32

All this and the remaining removed text is unnecessary if you use
mingw32_shell.bat instead of msys2_shell.bat. There is no need to run
msys2_shell.bat at all unless you want to build MSYS2 packages (not to
be confused with MinGW-w64 packages, which doesn't depend on
msys-2.0.dll.)

BTW, the changes you proposed to MSYS2 intall/update procedure also
insists on running msys2_shell.bat. That's poor advice.