Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 00:00:29 -0500

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I have suggested changes to the Msys2 people to iron out the Msys2
>> install issues I had.
>>

>> To address the "almost" above:
>>
>> I built from the current pretest tarball,
>> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.3.93.tar.xz
>>
>> I had to override the guessed build machine on the configure line:
>>
>>     $ ./configure --build=i686-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/mingw32
>
> All this and the remaining removed text is unnecessary if you use
> mingw32_shell.bat instead of msys2_shell.bat.

Sigh. I was actually running mingw64_shell.bat, not msys2_shell.bat. I
just got the wrong name in the emails. Thanks for catching this.

However, Emacs configure was run under Emacs, not directly in the
mingw64 shell, which means I was trying to emulate mingw64_shell.bat
with elisp code. So I need to figure out what I got wrong in that
emulation. I don't see anything obvious in the shell/environment
variables.

On the gripping hand, I just tested configure under mingw64_shell.bat,
and got:

configure: error: Emacs does not support `x86_64-pc-mingw64'.

Which is fine; we need i686.

So I tried mingw32_shell.bat; that works.

Just to be clear, the default prefix is still /usr/local. But /usr
exists in msys2/mingw32; it is at c:/msys64/usr. So /usr/local is a
reasonable place to install emacs. Except that will mix 32 bit and 64
bit targets; /usr/local/x86_64 and /usr/local/i686 would be better. So I
suggest we keep the advice to specify --prefix.

--
-- Stephe