Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)

From: David Caldwell
Subject: Re: tramp:sshx:(screen|tmux)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:41:38 -0700

On 9/10/14 8:06 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:

> However, emacs is sufficiently heavy weight (socially) that you (as the
> tramp maintainer) can ask the screen (and tmux and mosh) maintainers to
> add the "-emacs" option which will disable all terminal drawing.

Tmux has the relatively unknown -C option which puts it into command
mode. Here's what it looks like:

$ tmux -C attach
%begin 1410464037 1 0
%end 1410464037 1 0
%session-changed $0 0
%layout-change @0 b25d,80x24,0,0,0
%layout-change @1 b25e,80x24,0,0,1
%layout-change @2 b25f,80x24,0,0,2
%layout-change @3 b260,80x24,0,0,3
send-keys "echo hello\n"
%begin 1410464043 2 1
%end 1410464043 2 1
%output %0 \015\033[K\033]0;address@hidden:
~\007\033[01;address@hidden:\033[01;34m~\033[00m$ echo
hello\015\012hello\015\012
%output %0 \033]0;address@hidden:
~\007\033[01;address@hidden:\033[01;34m~\033[00m$
detach-client
%begin 1410464047 3 1
%end 1410464047 3 1

Lines starting with a % are from tmux, the "send-keys" and
"detach-client" are commands I sent to it.

Though I suspect for the purposes you want, there's still too much
terminal nonsense going on--tmux command mode just lets you get to the
heart of tmux, but input and output to the processes it controls is
still very terminal oriented.

-David