Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:14:56 +0300

> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 07:38:21 -0400
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > These revision-ids are in fixed format, so there should be no need for
> > heuristics in finding the corresponding commit, nor do I see a need
> > for a list of conversions when the revision is referenced by such an
> > ID.  This is why I added them in the first place in this case: to make
> > your job easier, not harder.
>
> Not successful.

Our cooperation is not exactly a success story anyway.  At least I
tried.

> I requested portable revision stamps for good reasons.

I don't think you can expect that, until we have VC commands to
produce them and look up commits using them.  I see exactly zero such
references in all of our ChangeLog files as of now, so it's not like
I'm the odd one out.

I'm pretty sure that once we switch to Git, everybody will use Git sha
values instead of bzr revnos.

> > Why do you run this conversion regularly at all?  Why not do it once
> > on the D-Day?
>
> Because (a) if I let the new IDs pile up it that high it will be just
> too daunting a task to face

I think you are wrong on this one, but it's your call.

> and (b) I'm still trying to make conversions available on gitorious
> so people can inspect them, get used to what the full conversion
> looks like, and critique it.

Did you get any critique lately?