Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:24:10 -0400

> * Yuri Khan <address@hidden> [2014-09-12 21:44:24 +0700]:
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If the commit timestamp were anything but "tomorrow" it would be a bug.
>> The whole point of a commit timestamp is to track who created a commit
>> when.  Since a rebase creates commits, obviously the commit timestamp
>> will correspond to the time of the rebase, and the commit author will
>> correspond to the person doing the rebase.
>>
>> Which is exactly why using "commit author/timestamp" is not going to cut
>> it as a unique identifier when rebases come into play.
>
> Neither does author/timestamp uniquely identify a commit in a
> rebaseful commit graph. But at least the commits having the same
> author/timestamp all conceptually represent the same change.

Not at all - if we accept the notion that rebase changes timestamp.
E.g., if I work for a week making 20 separate unrelated commits on
different days and then rebase, then all the 20 commits will have the
same timestamp.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1265
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://mideasttruth.com http://islamexposedonline.com