Re: Further CC-mode changes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Further CC-mode changes
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:22:46 +0200

> Glenn Morris writes:
>
>  > solve. If you choose to spend some of that time supporting old Emacs
>  > versions (and XEmacs by now is a very old Emacs version), then that is
>  > reducing the amount of time you can spend on eg improving C++11 support
>  > (to pick a non-random example). IMO this is a clear loss, so I hope you
>  > will reconsider your position on that.
>
> -1

I think it depends.  "Gratuitous incompatibility" is one thing, but
"refrain from relying on fixes, useful APIs etc that exist for years
already" is another.  The responsibility for keeping the core of XEmacs
in good working shape, or rather the cost for _not_ keeping the core of
XEmacs in good working shape should not be loaded off on Emacs
developers.  Why should we factually ignore years of work on making
Emacs more useful?

--
David Kastrup