Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:58:01 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> As mentioned in my previous message about Guile-Emacs, I tend to think
> this would be a liability rather than a feature.

I don't see why. It would make it easier for people to write
configurations for emacs if they can use a language which they already
know and is widely used.

You could still set up a rule that you only accept elisp packages
in the core if it makes core maintenance easier. But why deny
this feature from the users if a popular VM can easily support it?

It would be a great selling point if you could say "you can use
your favorite language to configure emacs, you don't have to use
arcane elisp if you don't want to". It could be an additional
convenience for the users which would make emacs more accesible
than it is today.