Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:04:55 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The GUILE bridge is there.  Robin Templeton's status of the port is
> that it is mostly complete, with strings/buffers being the most
> notable part obliterating acceptable performance via thick glue layers
> between Emacs' and GUILE's different implementations of similar
> concepts.
>
> Removing the thick glue layer requires that Emacs and GUILE strings
> (and Emacs buffers and GUILE whatever) become exchangeable and offer
> the same operations without impacting performance for either.

Guile supports extra/foreign types just fine (so-called SMOBs), which is
what strings and buffers are in Guile-Emacs so far, and if I understood
Robin right then the intention is to keep them so for a while, probably
even in the first "release" of Guile-Emacs.

SMOB types don't cause any extra memory usage or data access time AFAIK
so that probably works fine, the only problem being that Scheme and
Elisp strings are two different data types.  You get all of the other
benefits on the meanwhile which don't involve the mixing of Scheme and
Elisp code.

Taylan