Re: GNU ELPA; mw 0.1: modular MediaWiki interface for Emacs

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA; mw 0.1: modular MediaWiki interface for Emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:42:36 +0000

 >>> Speaking of the GNU ELPA Git repository, – it seems to be a
 >>> monolithic one (that is: no submodules are used.)

 > You get to choose (we call the two options "subtree" and "external").
 > Auctex, rudel, w3, and a few more are installed as "externals",
 > i. e. similar to Git submodules (tho hand-managed).

 > The "external" ones are stored as branches in the same repository
 > (e. g. the externals/auctex branch).

        Despite Git allowing for this (apparently), I tend to consider
        having several root revisions in a single repository somewhat
        confusing.  But I’ve got the idea.

        Why aren’t these managed as Git submodules, BTW?

 >>> Curiously, is there a BCP on maintaining a package in a separate
 >>> repository /and/ keeping its history mirrored in the GNU ELPA one?

 > You can host a mirror elsewhere if you want.  But the elpa repository
 > is not read-only, so you'll need to pay attention to commits
 > performed there to keep the two trees in sync.

        ACK, thanks for clarifying this up.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A