Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:57:07 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
> The question is how to do the "force-reload".  Once we know how to do
> that, there are various options as to when to do this force-reload, and
> I think this is an easier problem.

To me it seems that the discussion has veered from the original topic to
a second(ary) problem here.

The first problem is to ensure that the package is byte-compiled
correctly.  To that end, I still think it needs to be sent off to an
Emacs instance that is either freshly started or forked from some
known-good state.  The dependencies of the to-be-compiled package should
be activated before compilation starts.

The second problem is how (if at all) to re-load the newly compiled
package into the Emacs instance the user has been using.  You could
start with the org-reload implementation I posted (which is also in
Emacs).  In a nutshell, it checks which files have previously been
loaded and re-loads them.  This won't always work depending on what
exactly has changed between versions.  Sometimes doing another reload is
in order and sometimes you just have to restart.  You'll likely have to
delegate some of that responsibility to the package, since you generally
can't know what exactly to do in which order for each package.  Then
again, the package maintainer may not know either…

Regards,
Achim.