Re: git transition issues

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git transition issues
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:10:40 -0400

> the workflow it was designed to support.  To the very limited extent I
> understand the bzr-merge.el code, I'm not even sure its assumptions
> make sense anymore - git has a sufficently different model of branches
> and merging to make that questionable.

There's no particular assumption made in bzrmerge.el about the model
of branching.  Al it does is "merge the branch", just with tweaks to
avoid spurious conflicts.

I.e. it first gets the list of revisions that will be brought in by the
merge (this is a linear list of commits, if one of those commits is
a merge commit, then the only part that shows is this commit, not the
"subcommits" that were merged), then splits it into those commits that
are backports (or similar, recognized by special keywords in the commit
message) and who hence have already been merged (they'll get merged by
"bzr merge; bzr revert" so the only thing merged is the meatadata) and
the others which are merged in the normal way.

In DaRCS, it would work differently, but Git and Bzr have exactly the
same branching model in this respect.

        Stefan