Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:00:23 +0100

On Wed, Oct 29 2014, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Interesting.  Another point in favor of dropping inotify support,
>
> There are people who do not want glib linked with Emacs.

Also, glib is part of GNOME, which, as a whole, does not seem to be
interested in systems which are not commercially relevant for them.

There's an active project to implement inotify for *BSD

https://github.com/dmatveev/libinotify-kqueue

While it still lacks inotify_init1, a year or so ago I worked around
this by some voodoo and built emacs to use the library.  That basically
worked (and, IIRC, even passed the inotify-test.el of the time) but in
some situations removing a watch did not work correctly and a cpu core
remained pegged at maximum usage while emacs was running.

So, in the long run, inotify might be the more portable solution.

Wolfgang