Comment conventions, adding an explicit Header.

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Comment conventions, adding an explicit Header.
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:22:38 +0000

Currently, emacs uses comments of the form ";;; Commentary;" to
effectively indicate section headers in the buffer.

However, the header of the file has no section indicator -- so, the
copyright, the ";; Author:" metadata and so on.

I was wondering how many things (if any) would break, if this were
changed. So:

;;; blah.el --- Dull file

;; This file is not part of Emacs

;; Author: Phillip Lord <address@hidden>

Would become:

;;; blah.el --- Dull file

;;; Header:

;; This file is not part of Emacs

;; Author: Phillip Lord <address@hidden>

Putting the header on the third or second line is deliberate; various
parts of emacs use the first line semantics, including  -*-
lexical-binding: t -*-.

Why do I ask?

I have written a mode which transforms an Emacs-Lisp file into an
org-mode file. So you can view (and edit) your comments in org-mode,
while maintaining a normal elisp file (i.e. it doesn't require tangling
as an org-mode babel file would). In this process ";;; Commentary:"
lines get transformed into Org mode section one headers. This works
nicely, but the lack of a ";;; Header:" line, means that the metadata
and copyright is outside of the org-mode structure. Adding a ";;;
Header:" is a simple way of circumventing this.

Phil