Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:04:33 -0400

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:40:29 +0100 Michael Albinus
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Perhaps Emacs can define some sort of higher level
> > API that each port of Emacs can implement (or not) as part of the
> > system specific code for the platform.
>
> This high level API exist and is called filenotify.el. In Emacs
> 24.4, it supports inotify, gfile (glib), and the MS Windows file
> notification library.
>
> If people on BSD/OS X do not want to use glib, somebody shall write
> kqueue support. But it is said to be a hassle, so I wouldn't
> recommend it.

kqueue is actually quite straightforward to use. It is just a little
"different". I don't know how it would hook in to Emacs's low level
event loop though, I'll have to look at that.

I'm mostly on OS X these days, maybe I'll have a look at doing the
work, though if someone else has an itch to do it, they'll almost
certainly finish before me...

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden