Re: Multiple next-error sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple next-error sources
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:03:17 -0500

> With a hook variable, I can C-h v the variable and clearly see what is
> happening in which order.

Indeed, this is a downside of add-function.  If you know what you're
looking at, you can kind of figure out what's going on, but it's
definitely in the "I feel like I'm decrypting rather than
reading" category.

Of course, you can use advice-function-mapc to extract the info and turn
it into a normal list, but I didn't bother to write such a function, nor
to hook it into C-h v.  Patches welcome ;-)

> I can also easily use setq or delq to change
> the order if I find it problematic.

You can "delq" with remove-function.  I don't think there's a real
equivalent of "setq", OTOH.

> New functions likely want to be added in the middle, so visible
> compilation buffers take precedence, but non-visible ones are chosen
> last.  Is there a way using add-function to add a new function in
> between two existing functions?

You can specify a `depth' property, yes.

> Finally, hook variables can be added to customize to make them more
> easily accessible to users. Is there some sort of customize support for
> add-function, like there is for hooks/lists of functions?

Currently, no.

        Stefan