Re: Multiple next-error sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple next-error sources
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:06:38 -0500

> Can you come up with a concrete example of an instance where a
> hook-specified method combiner is actually useful?

No, currently, there is no variable that is modified via add-function in
different ways in different cases.

I'm sure you can cook up your own artificial example, but currently
practice says this flexibility is indeed not used.

If add-function had existed when post-self-insert-hook had been
introduced, then for sure I would have used a self-insert-function
instead and that would have benefited from such flexibility: some of the
post-self-insert-hook functions currently have to undo what the
self-insert-command did (i.e. they would rather use :around), and others
would really like to know where point was at the beginning of the
command (i.e. they would rather use :around as well).

Of course, a self-insert-function modified with add-function would also
have solved more cleanly the issue of ordering between functions
(currently resolved in an ad-hoc way in
electric--sort-post-self-insertion-hook).  But that would just be
a side-benefit.

        Stefan