Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 10:23:06 -0500

>> While there is no UI for it, package.el can definitely handle
>> site-wide packages: just add the corresponding directory to
>> package-directory-list.  And /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa is
>> included in there by default.
> That might take care of adding a package into site-lisp, but unless I'm
> mistaken there is no obvious way for the user to "delete" such a package
> (unless he's got write access to site-lisp)

Indeed, just like she can't "delete" a package that's bundled with Emacs.

The assumption is that installing a package is "harmless" and if that's
not the case, it's a bug in the package rather than a failure of the
package manager.

Tho, I think you can also prevent activation of a package via
package-pinned-packages (i.e. pinning to version that doesn't exist).

> or even just chose a different version.  Yes you can fiddle with the
> data structures, but that is too error-prone, I'd think.

If multiple versions of the same package are installed (that can also
happen in the user's own ~/.emacs.d/elpa), package.el should only
activate the latest version, and if that's not the right one, the user
can pick the one she wants with package-pinned-packages.

At least that's the theory.  This part of the code hasn't really been
tested, AFAIK.

> A user needs to be able to update the packages she added, while the
> site administrator needs to be able to do the same for the site
> collection, independently of each other.

Indeed.  And AFAIK the current code should behave correctly in
this respect.

        Stefan