Re: Best practice for mocking functions/prompts/etc.

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: Best practice for mocking functions/prompts/etc.
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:05:10 +0100

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:36:47 +0000
Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> There are elisp mocking libs. But with lisp you don't really need
> >> them.
> >
> > Yep. I know how I would do this in my own package, and I know how I
> > can do this with Emacs "on-board" libraries. The latter feels rather
> > cumbersome to me, so I figured I'd ask if there are recommended
> > ways / best practices for packages that are meant to go into the
> > Emacs repository that I am missing. :-)
>
> And I don't think there are. The mocking stuff doesn't go anywhere
> because we don't need it very often... except in your use case.
>
> Make something!

I just had a quick talk off the list with Nic, because it seemed to me
we were talking past each other, and indeed we were! :-)

The question I had, which I seem to have not explained well, was:

How do we mock this case in the Emacs "core" (i.e. the main Emacs
repository), as we can not use existing mock libraries (that I know of)
because they are not part of Emacs.

I can obviously write my own, as Nic suggests above, or just use the
default verbose options, as I have in the initial mail, but I figured
I'd ask first if there was something I am missing before reinventing the
wheel. :-)

Regards,
Jorgen