Re: wsdl test files and licensing

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: wsdl test files and licensing
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:50:10 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > Would it be necessary to bring all those files under GPLv3?  As said, I
 > > regard them as test data.
 >
 > To the extent that these are not really code files (similarly to he
 > test/indent/* files, which do contain code snippets but are not meant to
 > be runnable), I don't think it has to be exactly GPLv3+,

But I don't really think Richard or the FSF would be happy without a
copyright assignment in which case the current license is moot.

However, since these are test files, as a short-run workaround while
gathering "papers" or creating new tests, one possibility would be to
simply download the WSDL files during the test from the original sites
(assuming they're public).  If some source decides to change the file
and breaks the test, the maintainers would have a copy of the one that
they originally downloaded, discover the difference, and fix the
test.  The sites might not be happy to be used as test fodder, but
unless they're really unpopular I doubt they'd notice the load ;-).

Not really acceptable in the long run, but at least you could add the
code to Emacs and users could have some testing to give them
confidence things are working in the short run.

Steve