Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Andrew Burgess
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:14:34 +0100

* Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> [2014-11-14 14:10:15 +0100]:

> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Then I wanted to list only those those commits in the emacs-24 branch.
> > Ha!  "git help log" was of no help.  It goes into a man page, and
> > there is nothing helpful there thus to restrict the display.  There
> > appears not to be an option such as "-b emacs-24".  There is a
> > "--branches" option, but what that is supposed to do is completely
> > opaque to me.  How do I do what I want, here?
>
> Probably, "git checkout emacs-24 && git log".

This is correct, but you can skip the checkout and just do:

  git log some-branch

to get a log of all commits in the local branch 'some-branch'.
Alternatively so see what's in the same branch on the remote:

  git log origin/some-branch

this will not include any commits you've made to your local copy of
'some-branch' (and assumes that you're remote is called origin).

Another useful feature I use a lot is:

  git log some-branch -- path/to/a/file

this restricts the log to only those commits on 'some-branch' that
touch 'path/to/a/file'.

HTH
Andrew