Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:05:21 +0000

Hello, Andrew.

Thanks for the answer!

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 03:14:34PM +0100, Andrew Burgess wrote:
> * Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> [2014-11-14 14:10:15 +0100]:

> > Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Then I wanted to list only those those commits in the emacs-24 branch.
> > > Ha!  "git help log" was of no help.  It goes into a man page, and
> > > there is nothing helpful there thus to restrict the display.  There
> > > appears not to be an option such as "-b emacs-24".  There is a
> > > "--branches" option, but what that is supposed to do is completely
> > > opaque to me.  How do I do what I want, here?

> > Probably, "git checkout emacs-24 && git log".

> This is correct, but you can skip the checkout and just do:

>   git log some-branch

> to get a log of all commits in the local branch 'some-branch'.
> Alternatively so see what's in the same branch on the remote:

Thanks!  But the log doesn't identify which branch the commits are in.
How do I persuade git log to do this?

Now, I've discovered I can do

    git log -n5 emacs24 master --

and this works, but it doesn't say which commit is in which branch.
YUCK.

It seems also that git clone hasn't worked properly.  The above command
didn't work until I "initialised" the emacs-24 branch by doing

    git checkout emacs-24

.  What's going on here?

git log is being piped into less, which is objectionable.  If I want it
in less, I'm quite capable of saying so.  Is there a flag I can give to
stop my stdout being hijacked, or can I configure it away somehow?

>   git log origin/some-branch

> this will not include any commits you've made to your local copy of
> 'some-branch' (and assumes that you're remote is called origin).

What does "origin" mean here?  Is it the repository whence the current
repository was cloned, or is it the one in savannah?

> Another useful feature I use a lot is:

>   git log some-branch -- path/to/a/file

> this restricts the log to only those commits on 'some-branch' that
> touch 'path/to/a/file'.

How do I specify "git log ALL-branches -- path/to/a/file".  This doesn't
seem to be the default.  Or am I just confused?

> HTH

It does!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).