Re: Good book on Git

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Good book on Git
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 16:32:02 -0500

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:53:02 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2
>
>   > and is creative commons licensed.
>
> Beware of saying things are "creative commons licensed" as if that
> were significant.  There are six Creative Commons licenses.  Two are
> free, four are not.  See
> stallman.org/articles/online-education.html.
>
> Which Creative Commons license does that manual use?

It isn't "free" (it is the non non-commercial variant, and to be
free-as-in-freedom it would need to allow copying for commercial use)
but I was not suggesting this for incorporation into software (which
would not be possible), only that it is a useful reference for people
learning Git. The project has a lot of people who want to learn Git
in a hurry, and it isn't a bad book for that purpose.

BTW, it is more of a textbook than a manual. The Git manuals that
come with Git itself are of course fully free, but they are not always
the easiest introduction.

--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden