Re: Include necessary git tools in the Emacs distribution?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Include necessary git tools in the Emacs distribution?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 01:01:32 +0100

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

> I am looking at it from a distro point of view. Generally, distros are
> not happy when packages are bundling and installing unrelated tools,
> but prefer keeping separate things in separate packages. One reason
> for this is that bundled stuff tends to cause file collisions between
> packages.

I don't really follow.  This is about putting things necessary to do
Emacs maintenance into the Emacs repository.  The tools would not be
distributed with the Emacs package in any distribution.

I would be glad for something like this:

"Emacs error: The program 'grep' is not available. Install it automatically (yes/no)?:"

On all platforms, of course.

In case that is not possible I prefer bundling. ;-)