Re: Help understanding some bad emacs behavior

From: Austin Bingham
Subject: Re: Help understanding some bad emacs behavior
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 21:32:49 +0000

On Sun Nov 16 2014 at 1:53:20 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm working on some code-completion related packages (company + ycmd), and
> something I'm doing is triggering some pathological behavior that I could
> use help on.

Care to describe what is this pathological behavior you're seeing?

Sorry, good point. The emacs process maxes out one of my cores for a few minutes. During this time emacs seems unresponsive to input, though it does redraw on the screen.

> Under some conditions that I haven't fully characterized yet, a thread
> in emacs goes off on an extended, recursive-looking adventure of
> some sort.

What makes you think so?

The stack trace. It's clearly doing some recursion, though whether that actually has any bearing on the behavior I'm seeing is just conjecture. Maybe the deep-seeming stack of Ffuncall/exec_byte_code/etc. is normal, but  it was remarkable enough to me that I thought I'd mention it.

> What I'm hoping is that someone on this list can look at the
> attached stack info and give me some hint as to what might be going on.

Better show the Elisp backtrace rather than the C backtrace.

What's the best way to get that? Bear in mind that, as far as I can tell, emacs isn't responding to input when I see this problem. And since I don't really know where this is happening in elisp-land, I'm not sure where to add instrumentation or anything like that.

Austin