Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 02:24:10 -0600

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:04:31 +0100

>>> No:
>>>
>>> $ src/temacs.exe
>>> bash: src/temacs.exe: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
>>>
>>> Doing the same from cmd.exe results on the OS showing a fancy banner
>>> that says that this application can't run on my Pc, which I interpret as
>>> the user friendly way of saying the same as bash says.
>>
>> I suggest to take this up with MinGW64 developers.
>
> Think that the MinGW64/MSYS2 developers know the issue. There is an
> emacs-git build recipe in MSYS2 with no corresponding binary package,
> because the build fails.
>
> Right now the emacs master build finished correctly on Windows XP 32
> bits with MSYS2 with the same binary packages as the Windows 8.1 64 bits
> with MSYS2 64 bits, where the temacs.exe problem happens. It seems that
> there is something on MSYS2 64 bits that affects how temacs.exe is
> created. I'll mention this data point on the MSYS2 ml.

I built emacs pretest 24.3.93, .94 successfully on Windows 7 64 bit
MSYS2 mingw32, but emacs-dynamic-module failed as above on the same
MSYS2 tools. So I think the problem is in the emacs code, although it
may be a change that encounters an MSYS bug.

I'll try again with current emacs master.

--
-- Stephe