Re: Network security manager

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:45:52 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it work to use the logic of "the buffer that initiated the
> connection is in the foreground"? In that case, we could store the
> buffer name as an optional record in the process info structure--
> `open-network-stream' could figure it out mostly automatically?

Hm...  so shr would tell `url-retrieve' that the buffer that the "user
buffer" for the request is "*eww*", and then if that's the buffer that's
active when url.el finally has decided which server to connect to, and
the NSM decides to query the user -- then NSM would only query the user
if the user's active buffer is the same buffer?

I think that sounds practically doable, and I think it would solve the
main problem, unless there are scenarios I'm not considering...  hm...

Yes!  I though of one.  >"?

If you `M-x eww RET http://google.com RET', then we don't create the
*eww* buffer until we have downloaded the HTML.  (Which will actually be
from https://www.google.com, since there's a redirect.)  Meanwhile the
user may well have left the buffer she typed `M-x eww' in, but that
(probably) shouldn't stop NSM from querying about whether the user
really wants to visit the version of https://www.google.com that seems
to be signed by an invalid Chinese CA for some strange reason or
other...

I think?