Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:11:02 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:11:12 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> yes, I know about bzr shared repos, but
> my bzr setup with about 5 Emacs branches including trunk, emacs-24,
> and emacs-23 uses about 3X as much space as my git repo with all Emacs
> git branches in it

That's not really a fair comparison, as it includes the work trees, of
which the Git repo has only one.

It would be more fair to compare the .bzr subdirectory of the Bazaar
repository with the .git subdirectory of the Git repository, in which
case Git wins with a 1:2 ratio (which might deteriorate to some extent
in the future, since the initial repository was very aggressively
packed).

> Simply doing "git clone source-repo target-repo" uses very little
> extra space (or time) at clone time because the objects are
> hard-linked across directories by default.

That is true (even on Windows), but then one would need to pull twice,
once from upstream, the other time from the first clone to the second,
right?  Doesn't sound a net win to me.

> I don't see any good reason for describing any other strategies than
> "if you're worried about bootstrap times, just use a second clone from
> your local trunk repo".

That's what I will probably write, yes.

>  > The answer currently seems to be "use git-new-workdir"
>
> This should work OK 99.44% of the time in Emacs workflows, but if the
> new user gets frisky with rebasing or commit --amend etc, they *can*
> shoot themselves in the foot.  If they do, they almost certainly will
> break a private part of the repo that cannot be recovered from public
> sources.  I don't think that's worth it, IMHO FWIW YMMV.

I will probably mention git-new-workdir, but not more than that.
Interested readers can read the documentation and set that up.

Thanks.