Re: emacs-diffs emails can get long subject if log starts with "*"

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: emacs-diffs emails can get long subject if log starts with "*"
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:12:42 -0500

RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld wrote:

>> Also seems dumb to me to ignore line-breaks, and insist on paragrpah
>> breaks, but whatever.
>
> That's why the recommendation for git is to limit the first line to 50
> characters.

"First line summarizes the commit" is fine by me. What I find dumb is
the requirement for that first line to be followed by a blank line, not
a new line.

Because
who
needs
write
50
characters
like
this?

For example, just now I wanted to use a commit log which was about 1.5
lines long in total, but had a natural break (for a comma) at the end of
the first line. Rather than rewrite it as "1 + blank + 1.5 lines", I
simply dropped the last half line.

If a newline marked the end of the summary/title/whatever, then
log --oneline (and emacs-diffs subjects) would look fine, with no action
needed.

But obviously it isn't going to change, so we need to learn new habits,
and write little tools to enforce said habits.