Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:49:21 +0100

Phishing using this method is a problem mainly on the web and in mail,
so I wonder whether the solution we're looking for would be applied to
main and web modes instead of having a more general mechanism.

It seems pretty clear that stuff like

    ‮http://myspace.com/#/segami/moc.koobecaf//:sptth

where you have a buffer with only left-to-right text, but then you have
a single right-to-left indicator, is suspicious.  And since Latin
characters are strongly left-to-right, you don't get confusing URLs in
the middle of right-to-left text:

הממשלה בכך שהוא http://myspace.com/#/segami/moc.koobecaf//:sptth "משתף פעולה עם

(I hope that's nothing rude, I just cut'n'pasted text at random from a
Hebrew web page.)

So...  would a possible solution here be as simple as removing all
right-to-left indicators in mail and web modes if those right-to-left
indicators apply to URLs?  That is, after the modes mark the regions it
thinks are URLs, then they would check if there are any RTL characters
that apply to the regions that it thinks are URLs?

But currently Emacs doesn't really have a mechanism for querying the
directionality of a buffer region, I think?