Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 21:13:05 -0600

Using the code at: https://github.com/ellerh/xref, I've written an
ada-mode backend (not completion yet). It was quite straight-forward,
and I like the dispatching that eieio provides.

So I recommend we merge this code into emacs master.

A couple comments:

The current copyright on xref.el is Helmut Eller; I assume you've got a
copyright assignment on file.

I'd like to add to xref.el:

(defun xref-find-definition-at-point ()
  (interactive)
  (xref--find-definition (xref-identifier-at-point (xref--backend)) nil))

That's the function I use most often.

There is a FIXME on xref-push-marker-stack. I gather you'd like this to
be independent of etags?

It would not be hard to implement an independent marker ring/stack. But
I think it makes more sense to use the etags marker ring; that way,
if I am navigating thru code that uses multiple languages, and one
language mode uses xref while another uses tags, there is still only one
tag ring.

Eventually, when most modes have migrated to xref, it might make sense
to switch to a separate marker ring.

--
-- Stephe