Re: More metaproblem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 11:23:04 +0100

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> That's not what admin/notes/repo says:
>
>     Sometime before the release of a new major version of Emacs
>     a "feature freeze" is imposed on the trunk.  No new features may be
>     added after this point.  This is usually some months before the release.
>
> "some months" is not "short". (see below for suggested patch)

Shrug.  In project life cycles, it tends to be short.  When the move to
Git became an imminent topic, Eli complained about the performance of
git-blame like on src/xdisp.c.  I said that I probably could do
something about that in some reasonably short amount of time.  Took me
probably half a year to come through on that promise.  And
lo-and-behold, when we converted to Git, most stable (rather than
long-term) distributions of software containing Git had the fix in time
for Emacs' move.

I was pretty sure I had dropped the ball, but apparently there is not a
lot of gravity.

For quality-delayed releases rather than fixed schedule releases,
I don't think I've seen freezes that turned out shorter than a few
months at least.

--
David Kastrup