Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:57:22 +0100

Hi,

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...] we have agreed on asciidoc as a new master format.

This seems nothing short of bizarre.
Did you, by chance, hear of this new mode called Org?

1. My Emacs does not feature an "asciidoc-mode", and it seems I would need
   an extra binary to export out of asciidoc to "richly linked hypertext".
   ox.el, the Org export framework, is written in Emacs-Lisp.
2. Judging from a sample on the Asciidoc-website, formatting asciidoc-txt
   seems painful.  E.g. a headline of length N seems to require 2×N
   characters and two lines whereas an Org headline requires N +
   HEADLINE-LEVEL + 1 characters and a single line.  Delimiters in
   asciidoc seems overloaded, e.g. ==⋯= is both the beginning of a table
   and an example block.
3. Org already supports export of texinfo, txt, html, LaTeX, odt, & man
   out of the box.  Asciidoc seems to support html...

—Rasmus

--
This space is left intentionally blank