Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 01:01:24 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 17:39:55 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I used to be a fan of heavy, explicit document markup; DocBookXML was
> my weapon of choice for large documents.  It took a bit of mental
> readjustment when I first experimented with minimal, new-school
> markups like markdown and asciidoc.
>
> But then my perspective shifted. Now I like the fact that that the
> markup obtrudes very little on the actual content.  I get to write *foo*
> instead of <emphasis>foo</emphasis> and you know what?  It's better -
> lower overhead not just in typed characters but in the amount of
> attention required to read it structurally.

You are free to like or dislike whatever tools you want.  You like
*foo* more that "C-c C-e foo", that's your prerogative.  But until and
unless you are going to be a major contributor to Emacs documentation,
you do NOT get to choose our documentation system for us.

So just stop this useless discussion.  It isn't going anywhere useful.
It does certainly take away a significant portion of the time we have
to code and make those other improvements, like the CONTRIBUTE Web
page, mentoring newcomers, finding more volunteers and contributors,
etc.