Re: More metaproblem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 01:12:11 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 17:24:16 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Karl Fogel <address@hidden>:
> > That's going to be a good investment of my time, after the initial
> > rejection of the idea?
>
> There's another version of this that's common here.  It's "We will not
> consider anything new unless you commit to doing *all* the hard work
> yourself, up front, and also a whole bunch of related shitwork that we
> haven't been able to find anyone to take on."

Welcome to Free Software.

> It's basically a way to day "Fuck off" while sounding pseudo-responsible.
> It doesn't fool anyone, though.  The underlying message of reflexive
> rejection of change is clear.

It just means it's not my itch to scratch.  There's no rejection here,
quite the contrary: many times such suggestions are welcome.  But
someone still has to do the work, and the best candidate is the one
who is the most motivated to do it.

> Heaven forfend anyone should offer to ... cooperate.  Spread the load.
> When was the last time we heard anyone saying in reaction to a big new
> proposal "That's a great idea you just had.  I'll do *this* piece."

You don't see that because you don't want to.  Read this list more
carefully, and you will see plenty of examples of such cooperation.

> And yet, we wonder why there are 500+ regulars on #emacs  who don't dare
> set foot in here.  Well, why should they?  It's a hostile work environment.

Nonsense.  There's no hostility here.