Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:54:08 +0200

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 16:14:42 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > Please always start the commit log summary line with a capital letter,
> > and end the sentence with a period.  (Actually, in the above
> > particular case the summary line is redundant and could be omitted --
> > but this is a stylistic comment, not a requirement.)
> >
> > Also, renaming a file needs an entry in the target's ChangeLog, like
> > this:
> >
> >   * CONTRIBUTE: Renamed from etc/CONTRIBUTE.
> >
> > and it also should end with a period, not a comma.
> >

> These are exactly the situations where a server side commit hook
> is really useful for the following reasons:

The intent of my message was to explain how to prepare good log
messages that will not trigger any hook which will reject the commit.
Apart of having more people follow the standards to begin with,
avoiding such rejection is a Good Thing because while one fixed a
rejected push, someone else could push and force you to pull/rebase.

IOW, don't overestimate automated hooks and don't underestimate the
value of education.