RE: Ordering of command completions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Ordering of command completions
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 13:26:36 -0800 (PST)

> > Sounds good to me, I guess.  Is there a way for a user to advise
> > such a command to change or remove the declaration?  Is `declare'
> > amenable to advising?
>
> Dunno. What scenario do you have on mind?

A user ... not wanting a particular command to be excluded ...
for whatever usery reason.  How to override the exclusion?

> As a last resort, the user could define a new interactive function,
> without associated restrictions, that simply calls the "hidden" one.

Sure, people can always rewrite the code we provide.  That's not
what is generally meant by user control over commands, in Emacs.

> Besides, the filtering would be optional, of course.

Optionally completely on or completely off is not what I'm
getting at, either.

We are talking about providing declarations at the individual
command level (and possibly at the file/package/mode level).

Users should be able to change that behavior for an individual
command, just as you can declare it for an individual command.
That's what advice is for: tweaking an individual function.
Users should not need to redefine commands, if we can give them
a better way.