Re: A way to communicate announcements to developers

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: A way to communicate announcements to developers
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:55:14 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Please set up a mechanism to communicate important announcements
>> (feature freezes, all documentation now to be in esperanto, that kind of
>> thing) to developers. It's been discussed before but nothing ever
>> happened. I still favour an emacs-devel Mailman "announce" topic, but
>> anything will do, so please don't spend ages discussing the very best
>> way. A web page to check, whatever.
>
> I think gnu.emacs.announce would work just fine for that, actually.
> We normally only use it to announce releases, so we shouldn't add too
> many messages in there.  But announcing the feature-freezes sounds OK.

+1.

That gives us a small archive to check, even if we are not monitoring
the list continuously.

Hmm. Except that's a newsgroup; is it archived somewhere official (ie
other than Google groups)?

The Savannah list of Emacs newsgroups at
https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group_id=40 says info-gnu-emacs is for
announcements. It currently has announcements of pretests and release
candidates, as well as some ELPA package releases.

Ah; it looks like gnu.emacs.announce is a mirror of that mailing list
(or vice versa).

--
-- Stephe