Re: Patch queue management systems

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Patch queue management systems
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:32:42 +0200

On 12/09/2014 10:44 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

They're included for a few weeks.  `x' to make them go away.

Thanks.

Well, that's also nice, but for virtually all patches we get (which are
to the Lisp bits), running a "make" in the current tree is sufficient to
see whether the patch is whack or not.  No need to wait for a result
from an integration server.

Quite the opposite, many bugs with Lisp code can only be found at runtime. One has to try hard to break the compilation.

Anyway, you previous message gave me an impression that you do want an integration server. You don't? Okay...

("make test" if you want to be all modern and hang with the cool kids.)

Right.

Do you intend to keep the patch submission workflow the same?
I.e. free-form (inline or in an attachment with arbitrary name),
instead of a Git branch somewhere.

Sending patches is really easy, even for kids these days.

This ignores the point I was making. To make it easier for automated tools, you'd have to make sending patches *harder*, at least a bit, for the uninitiated.

It increases visibility into the discussion. Even if we're only
talking two passes, being able to see just the comments that apply to
the latest proposed version is pretty nice.

Yes, it would be, but we're displaying the discussion threaded, so that
kinda happens naturally.

That's not ideal: only one message's contents is displayed at the time, and when reading, one has to go up and down the thread, until they find the message that submits the patch, and then switch between the messages in the subthread which appear to respond to it. There's no other way to follow the discussions on each specific part of the patch, except to look at the quotes in each message and try to keep it together in your head.

With inline comments, you can have granular comment threads that only apply to specific part of the patch.

It would be nice to have a way to mark exactly
what message contains the most current version of the patch, though.

Even that would be an improvement, yes.